The Student Senate is the central organization for the student body. It is the advocate for the interests of the student body as a whole to the Leech Lake Tribal College administration and faculty, and promotes student participation in the governance system.
The Student Senate is composed of four to seven student representatives from the student body. LLTC student members, through annual elections, will select students to serve on the Student Senate. It is the responsibility of the Student Senate to conduct business according to its approved by-laws. The Student Senate’s responsibilities are:
- To engage in and/or coordinate activities necessary for the purpose of advocating and supporting endeavors by the Student Members or by LL TC, providing that such endeavors focus on promoting quality in American Indian Higher Education.
- To conduct regular and special business meetings of the Student Senate as may be deemed necessary to fulfill the purpose and responsibilities of the organization.
- To inform constituents of the Student Senate of all pertinent business actions and organizational activities of the Student Senate.
- To communicate student concerns to Administration.
- To develop a yearly budget and allocate student fees. Student Senate officers consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. LLTC may select or appoint additional officers or assistant officers as deemed necessary and appropriate. Membership in this organization is open to any student at LLTC. Students are encouraged to meet the Student Senate’s weekly meetings, as voting privileges are granted to all students. This organization does not discriminate on the basis of disability, ethnicity, race, religion, creed, or sexual orientation. Each year, Student Senate will be assigned two-three faculty/staff advisors, appointed by the LLTC administration.